How to Get Rid of Squirrels
A squirrel or multiple squirrels in the attic of your home is not good for health and hazard reasons. The most common human-wildlife removal problem is squirrels in the attic. Residents of homes become aware that an animal is living in their attic when they hear scampering, or scratching noises above the ceiling. To eradicate squirrels in the attic It’s important to find out where they are getting entering and leaving from.
The squirrel that has taken up residency in your home needs to go out for water and food. So, through observation you should find the hole the squirrel/s are entering and leaving from. You should observe during the day because that is when the squirrels are most active. You can install a repeater trap or a one-way exclusion door right on the hole if you choose. He trap will capture the squirrels in one shot and then you relocate the squirrel and let it go. Make sure you check your attic for pups if the squirrel nested there and relocate the baby’s with her. The exclusion door will let the squirrels out, but keeps them from coming back in. So again check the attic for babies and let put them out relatively close to the mother. It’s important that you make sure that any secondary entrances are sealed too. Remember when you have trapped squirrels and all are removed and captured you’re your resident, if you are relocating them it must be a minimum of 5 miles away from your building. You will also want to clean up their nesting materials and debris and disinfect the area they were living in. Also, check for the electrical wiring for damage.
Get Rid of Squirrels Best Practices
- If any neighbors are feeding the squirrels, persuade them to stop.
- If there are bird feeders hung close to the house move them.
- Consider buying special bird feeders which also trap other creatures like squirrels and chipmunks, etc…
- Keep the area underneath the feeder clean.
- Enclose compost piles in a framed box using hardware cloth or welded wire; in a sturdy container, such as a 55-gallon drum; or in a commercial composter.
- Feed pets indoors.
- Trim tree branches close to the building back so you inhibited the path of the squirrels.
- Buy your traps from reputable and knowledgeable dealers.
- Check laws about trapping.
One other alternative is to euthanize the creatures when trapped. There are various poisons that can be used.
Hire a Professional Squirrel Removal
If you don’t want to have the trouble of getting rid of the squirrel yourself, you can hire a squirrel removal company.